Sunday, June 8, 2014

Other People Are Rocking It Today

I know four (count em') people doing the Ironman 70.3 Eagleman today, including John S., whom I have written about before. He taught me an important rule of running races: no one cheers for us middle-aged folks, but they do cheer for jerseys with sports teams and colleges on them. I have yet to try this out, but I now own a William & Mary tank top purchased just for this reason.

Anyway, that's 1.2 miles in some water that is not a pool, a 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run. That's crazy stuff. It would be so cool to do one of those things. I'd need to get over my bike fear first. That's (1) fear of falling off that thing, (2) fear of going so fast in a pack of big dog bikers and falling off that thing and having them roll over me, and (3) fear of telling my husband that I need to spend the equivalent of a mortgage payment on a bike.

(By the way, my nonconformist triathlete friend Rob G. is going to do this crazy stuff down at the REV3 in Williamsburg next weekend. He's doing his half-iron distance closer to the Cheese Shop.)

And then I have a mess of friends taking their half marathons to the trail today at the Northface Endurance Challenge. This looks like it promises to be toasty and tough, and I wish them all well!

Me? I took a shake out Sunday 2 miler, just for Juneathon and my streak, and now I'm heading to the grocery store for this week's groceries and a muffin.

2 comments:

  1. 70.3 with extra house please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot think of a better reason to do any event in Williamsburg. Linda and I ate 2 meals there last week!

    ReplyDelete