A couple of days ago, someone in a Facebook runners' group asked about ice baths. This got me thinking that maybe I'm far enough along in training that I should start working some of these in. Mind you, I don't go running around looking for an ice bath, but sometimes it's just the thing.
At any rate, here's what you need:
A fleece jacket and a warm beverage.
|A bathtub with cold water in it.|
Something to keep track of time.
|An engrossing book. Look at those sweet bookends!|
|A bucket of ice. Beer is optional, but not a bad idea.|
A helper (if you have children, they are ideal for this).
- Put your fleece on and ease yourself into your tub with enough cold water to cover your aching legs. Leave your running shorts on at this point, because of step 3.
- Sip your warm beverage or cold beer, read your book, and watch your clock until about 10 minutes have passed (or until you feel that water heat up to tolerable levels).
- Have your assistant add the ice to the water (s/he will be gleeful!).
- Sit for another 10 minutes or so.
- Drain the tub, ditch your clothes, and take a hot shower.